In today’s digital era, whereby everything is becoming more and more transparent, the importance of having a professional internet and social media presence is essential.
When you are meeting with a potential client one thing of which you can be certain, is that they would have already searched your name and formed an opinion about you based on your online brand.
Step 1: Google Yourself
Take a set of fresh eyes and look at how you appear online to a potential customer whom you have not yet met. Ask yourself these questions:
- How do you look online?
- What does your online presence say about you?
- Are you and your brand being positioned in the most appropriate way across all channels?
- What are the associated links?
- Do they detail valuable and accurate information?
These are important questions that you need to stop and consider.
If you don’t like the answers now is the time to make some changes.
Below I have outlined some simple tips to help you take control of your online presence (via social networking sites) and paint a compelling picture of who you are and what your brand stands for in the real world.
- Use the same picture as your default photo from one network to the next, that way people easily recognise you across all social mediums.
- Only post things that your Mum would be ok with!
- Post about available properties and showings but also relevant local articles and media.
- Change up the content: Do not just post your open times each week, be a little creative.
- Post about your local area to reinforce the message that you are the agent of choice in your community.
Stat: 87% of Gen X-ers (30- to 44-year-olds) and 70% of those ages 45 to 60 think brands should, at the very least, have a Facebook page. (Social Media Examiner)
- Do your pictures reflect the person you want to portray in the media?
- Each time you post a picture make sure it is professional and reflects your brand well.
- Post images and information about new properties for sale, and give people real-time information.
- Be wary of live streaming auctions – you can’t control it once it goes live!Stat: Brands on Instagram with over 100K followers have grown by 163% in two years.
- From a google search point of view LinkedIn gets you higher rankings in the search results so you need to build and maintain a first-rate LinkedIn profile.
- Your profile should be public.
- Ensure all information is up-to-date and complete at all times.
- It goes without saying that grammer and other errors are a no go (how many of you picked up straightaway on the misspelling of grammar there?) Did you instantly question my credibility? Worth thinking about.
- Include links to your company website, credentials you have, links to the community charities you support.
- Tip: the best profiles are written in the third person.Stat: There are approx. 4,200,000 Monthly Active Australian Users on LinkedIn. (Social Media News)
Remember, Social networking websites such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram are important vehicles when it comes to online branding.
They provide you with an opportunity to control what your customers will find when they search for your name.
If done well, they will become essential online branding tools that have the potential to generate a lot of great prospects.
PS – Video is KING when it comes to online content. For a full article on video marketing tips for real estate, click here.