Business owners often ask me how they can simplify their operations and achieve results. I get excited when this happens because it means they are putting serious thought in to how to do things better. One of my favourite quotes is: “The power of an idea is in the implementation”. To me this is the most powerful thing business owners can take on board. You can have the best business idea in the world but unless you have figured out how you will put this in to action, you might as well pass it on to someone who will!
How to initiate action:
Most businesses’ are trying to work out the same things:
- How do we deal with our customers?
- How do we work effectively as a team?
- How to we market our business?
When you ask yourselves these questions all at once it can feel overwhelming and exhausting. Instead, I propose you strip things right back and task yourself and your team three things this year:
- Themes: designate a theme and pinpoint something your business can focus on every month. What can you as a group get better at? It might be connecting with existing clients, making improvements to technology or upgrading marketing materials. Whatever the theme is for the month, get the whole team focused on that one area with the view to create lasting change.
- Key projects: I’m a firm believer that most people in business attempt to implement too many things all at the one time. Why not slow things down? Implement less things well than a lot of things poorly. Novel idea I know! A good example that I see time and time again is around the use of CRM’s and other technology. Sure, it’s great to have all of these whiz bang technologies…but only if you’re using them to their full capabilities. Why not make that a focus for your team and finally get the return on your investment?! Remember with projects the ‘key’ is to ensure every project has a beginning/middle and an end.
- Quick wins: are small changes that can be implemented straight away. The beauty of small business is that decisions can be made very quickly. Use that competitive edge and work out one quick win per week that would make a difference to your operation. A good example might be changing the way you answer the phone.
Ultimately the aim of the themes, key projects and quick wins strategy is to create clarity, make some changes and simplify your business for success. I’ve always said ‘a confused mind stalls’. As a business owner it is important to put in place a framework that creates a clear, simple vision for your team. The results will shout for themselves.
For more information about how you can achieve simplified success in your business, contact the team on 1300 273 785.
To check out Australasia’s premier leadership event for Principals, Owners, Sales Managers and Heads of Departments: The Business of Real, click this link now.